Jefferson University Choir
The Jefferson University Choir was founded in 1970 by Robert Sataloff, MD, DMA, FACS, Adjunct Professor, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Sugery, Sidney Kimmel Medical College. Dr. Sataloff conducted the choir from 1970 until 1975, and from 1980 through 2009. During Dr. Sataloff’s five years in Ann Arbor beginning in 1975, the choir was sustained by three conductors, including Dr. Michael Mahla, who has returned as associate conductor. The choir is delighted to have rejoined the Jefferson community after a seven-year absence.
Join the Choir
The Jefferson University Choir is open to all members of the Jefferson community as well as friends and family. There are no auditions required, and attendance at every rehearsal is not mandatory. You do not have to read music well. Recordings for learning the music are made available.
Rehearsals are every Wednesday, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in Jeff Alumni Hall, 1020 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA. There are two concerts a year with full orchestra at a center city location. They usually occur in mid-December and in April. Rehearsals begin in the fall.
The choir is deeply indebted to Steven Klasko, MD, MBA, President and CEO, Thomas Jefferson University and CEO, Jefferson Health, whose support allowed the return of the University choir after a seven-year hiatus. His commitment, and the efforts of his chief of staff and Executive Vice President Mr. John Ekarius, who facilitated the choir’s resurgence on only three weeks’ notice prior to the beginning of this concert season, are appreciated greatly. They attended TJU Choir concerts before the university disbanded the group prior to their arrival at Jefferson; and we are indebted for their confidence, and for the university’s commitment of approximately half of the funds needed to present the concert season.